Re: what is the role of release.gpg

Hi,
I created the Release and Release.gpg for the CD1,
apt-ftparchive release .  > Release
in the root of the cd directory wich is acceded via ftp, here is the content

debian225:/home/ftp/cd1# ls
autorun.inf    dists  g2ldr.mbr    isolinux    pool             README.mirrors.txt  Release      tools
css        doc    install        md5sum.txt    README.html         README.source     Release.gpg  win32-loader.ini
dedication.txt    g2ldr  install.386  pics    README.mirrors.html  README.txt         setup.exe

then the gpg file with
gpg -bas  -o Release.gpg Release

I used
apt-key add .gnupg/pubring.gpg
apt-key add .gnupg/secring.gpg
To complete the key list.

Everything seemed fine,

But when I try the installation, from a remote machien I always get the error :
mirror is not available or release file not found ??

Secondly, how to disable the secure apt if the problem is there.
thanks a lot
bela

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:28:22PM +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the role of Release.gpg in the debian site like for example
> http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/Release.gpg

The cryptographic signature file "Release.gpg" is created from the
authentic top level "Release" file and the secret Debian archive key.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_top_level_release_file_and_authenticity

> If I want to create a repository from the CD1, which doesn't contains
> Release.gpg,  is it possible to add and how.
> The reason for the message is that I want to create a repository to install
> on several machine the CD1, by using PXE.
> It fails when it searches for the Release file, so I suspect  the absence
> Release.gpg is responsible.

You can create it with your secret gpg key.  You certainly need to add that
key to enable secure-apt.   But trouble of doing it may be beyond you
for now.  I think disabling secure apt from console shell may be easier
way.

Please seek help from install guide and may example for creating
secure-apt compatible archive:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_local_copies_of_the_fetched_packages

Osamu