Re: problem installing new packages

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 16:58:53 +0200, Bernard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 13:11:09 +0200, Bernard wrote:

[...]

> >>root@new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_*.deb
> >>dpkg : « ldconfig » introuvable dans la variable PATH.
> >>dpkg: 1 programme(s) attendu(s) introuvable(s) dans la variable PATH.
> >>NB : la variable PATH du superutilisateur doit normalement contenir
> >>/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.
> >>root@new-host:/home/bd#
> >>
> >>Maybe I should run 'ldconfig' ?   I wouldn't dare to test this
> >>without more knowledge ; I wouldn't know what options and arguments
> >>to add.
> >
> >The problem is that ldconfig (and probably other important stuff) is
> >missing on your system; dpkg wants to call ldconfig before it installs
> >the libc6 package, therefore it is jammed.

[...]

> >If the above does not work then you may have to resort to manually
> >extracting the files contained in libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb:
> >
> >http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_extracting_package_without_dpkg
>
> So far I had no success with this process. If I go into
> '/var/cache/apt/archives' where my libc6 .deb files are, and type :
>
> ar x libc6_2.9-26_i386.deb
>
> I get nothing

What does "nothing" mean here, "no output" or "no files extracted"?
(The former would be normal and the latter could be due to missing write
privileges.) There is no reason to clutter /var/cache/apt/archives with
the extracted files; the instructions to which I referred clearly show
the command being run from some other directory (you do not even have to
be root).

          Florian   |