Re: problem installing new packages

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 13:11:09 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 19:06:41 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 00:09:07 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Before the end of install process, I got

"
Configuring libc6
[...]

Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
"

I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.

[...]

Here is what I get :

root@new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_*.deb
dpkg : « ldconfig » introuvable dans la variable PATH.
dpkg: 1 programme(s) attendu(s) introuvable(s) dans la variable PATH.
NB : la variable PATH du superutilisateur doit normalement contenir
/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.
root@new-host:/home/bd#

Maybe I should run 'ldconfig' ?   I wouldn't dare to test this
without more knowledge ; I wouldn't know what options and arguments
to add.

The problem is that ldconfig (and probably other important stuff) is
missing on your system; dpkg wants to call ldconfig before it installs
the libc6 package, therefore it is jammed. The next thing you can try is
to split the installation into two steps:

dpkg --unpack /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb
dpkg --configure libc6

That might work if "--unpack" does not require dpkg to run ldconfig;

It does... Therefore that doesn't work

do not know the internals of dpkg well enough to judge the chances of
success.

If the above does not work then you may have to resort to manually
extracting the files contained in libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_extracting_package_without_dpkg

So far I had no success with this process. If I go into '/var/cache/apt/archives' where my libc6 .deb files are, and type :

ar x libc6_2.9-26_i386.deb

I get nothing

Alternatively you could try to fool dpkg by copying /bin/true to /sbin
and then rename the copy to "ldconfig". Again I would not dare to
predict the chances of success of this rather dirty trick.