problem installing new packages

Hi to Everyone !

I surely made a mistake trying to install 'audacity v1.3.8 beta'. Someone told me that this new beta version was really different from earlier releases, so I wanted to test it.

Since 'apt-get install audacity' told me that my already installed 1.3.5 beta version was the last version available, I decided to try 'testing' directories in my /etc/apt/sources.list. This and the apt-get update being done, I renewed my attempt with apt-get install. This time, it did start to install v1.3.8 of audacity. But I encountered a problem ! Before the end of install process, I got this message :

"
Configuring libc6
Running services and programs that are using NSS need to be restarted, otherwise they might not be able to do lookup or authentication any more. The installation process is able to restart some services (such as ssh or telnetd), but other programs cannot be restarted automatically. One such program that needs manual stopping and restart after the glibc update by yourself is xdm - because automatic restart might disconnect your active X11 sessions. This script detected the following installed services which must be stopped before the upgrade : gdm If you want to interrupt the upgrade now and continue later, please answer no to the question below.

Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
"

I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc. My /etc/apt/sources.list have been restaured to what it was before, that is :

deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

and I did an 'apt-get update' too.

Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when trying to install something. For instance, if I do :

#apt-get install gphoto2

the install process starts... then :

"
Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16. Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
dpkg : « ldconfig » not found in the variable PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.

I got something similar when trying to install flashplugin.

Should I go finish the upgrade of libc6 which I interrupted before the end as explained above ? On the contrary, would I be better cancelling the previous unfinished job (but how to cancel it ?) and go back to libc5 ?

Thanks in advance for your help