Re: problem installing new packages

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
I surely made a mistake trying to install 'audacity v1.3.8 beta'.

[...]

Since 'apt-get install audacity' told me that my already installed
1.3.5 beta version was the last version available, I decided to try
'testing' directories in my /etc/apt/sources.list. This and the
apt-get update being done, I renewed my attempt with apt-get
install. This time, it did start to install v1.3.8 of audacity. But
I encountered a problem ! Before the end of install process, I got

"
Configuring libc6

[...]

Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
"

I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.

[...]

Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when
trying to install something. For instance, if I do :

#apt-get install gphoto2

the install process starts... then :

"
Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar
chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
dpkg : « ldconfig » not found in the variable PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain
/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.

/usr/bin/locale and especially /sbin/ldconfig are important programs
which are part of the libc-bin package. Your aborted libc6 upgrade seems
to have removed this package (and possibly others), or something is
wrong with your $PATH.

Please post the output of this command
dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'

so that we can see the status of libc-related packages on your system.
Here it is :

new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder rc libc-bin 2.9-25
un libc-dev <néant>
ii libc6 2.7-18
ii libc6-dev 2.7-18
ii libc6-i686 2.7-18