Re: udev won't let me change my network interface?

On 2009-08-31 21:26, C. G. Montgomery wrote:
Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:

On 2009-08-31 20:35, C. G. Montgomery wrote:
I have a desktop computer running Debian testing (squeeze),  kernel
2.6.30, with KDE 4.2.4. Previously it had been connected by ethernet to
similar machine using an interface eth0.  Now I want to connect it to
my new DSL service.
<snip> ...
I can find discussions of how to change the name of an existing
interface with udev, but nothing about removing one interface and
adding another.
Any suggestions welcome.  Let me know if other information would be
useful.
Yes, udev controls the interface name, but it's based on MAC
address, not IP address.  So, do you have two ethernet ports on your
computer, and plan to use both at the same time?

No, there is just one ethernet port.  Eventually I will want to set up a
local network with several machines using the DSL, but for now I just
want a single cable from the DSL modem to the PC, and a single network
interface besides the loopback.

How can I specify the MAC address so it will be used correctly?

But your system already knows it's MAC address as eth0. Why not use it for your DSL connection???

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!