Re: Magic SysRq reboot (was Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver)

In <[🔎] 68b1e2610908190512y3dc7d46eob79b6398686b7441@mail.gmail.com>, Liviu
Andronic wrote:
>On 8/17/09, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>>  I can't really help you with your problem, but a "hard" shutdown is
>>  almost never necessary. You can send various low-level commands to your
>>  kernel using the "SysRq" Key [1], which will allow you to reboot a
>>  computer without corrupting the filesystem.
>
>Nope, this didn't work on my panic-ed kernel.

Yes, the "Magic" SysRq is handled entirely[1] within the kernel, but if you
don't have a kernel nothing will work.  A frozen userland (including X) can
be recovered (or at least saved) via Alt+SysRq key combinations.

>From my experience with
>Gentoo, kernels can quite often hang and not respond to SysRq.

They shouldn't.  If your kernel regularly panics or hangs, it is probably a
bug and should be reported.  It could be bad HW though.

[1] The sent signals may be handled in userland, but the sending is all done
in kernel space and the process receives them next time it is scheduled.
The syncing and unmounting is done by flushing/updating the kernel
structures directly; /etc/mtab may not be correct.  Rebooting and power off
is handled inside the kernel, but does require some interaction with BIOS
(or your architectures equivalent).  Putting the keyboard in "raw" mode and
the various reporting functions are handled entirely within the kernel.