Re: Magic SysRq reboot (was Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver)

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:05:13AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 68b1e2610908190512y3dc7d46eob79b6398686b7441@mail.gmail.com>, Liviu
> Andronic wrote:
> >On 8/17/09, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> >>  I can't really help you with your problem, but a "hard" shutdown is
> >>  almost never necessary. You can send various low-level commands to your
> >>  kernel using the "SysRq" Key [1], which will allow you to reboot a
> >>  computer without corrupting the filesystem.
> >
> >Nope, this didn't work on my panic-ed kernel.
>
> Yes, the "Magic" SysRq is handled entirely[1] within the kernel, but if you
> don't have a kernel nothing will work.  A frozen userland (including X) can
> be recovered (or at least saved) via Alt+SysRq key combinations.

some times you have to grab the keyboard back from X i think it is the
RAW option

--
"But the God I know is not one that -- the God I know is one that promotes peace and freedom. But I get great sustenance from my personal relationship. That doesn't make me think I'm a better person than you are, by the way."

	- George W. Bush
06/24/2004
Washington, DC
in an Interview on Radio and Television Ireland