Magic SysRq reboot (was Re: switching to proprietary ati radeon driver)

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 14:41 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:

[ ... ]
> meaning that I have to resort to using the hard-halt via the power
> button. Rebooting/Halting from Xfce works as expected (and it didn't

I can't really help you with your problem, but a "hard" shutdown is
almost never necessary. You can send various low-level commands to your
kernel using the "SysRq" Key [1], which will allow you to reboot a
computer without corrupting the filesystem.

The SysRq sequence you are after is "Reboot Even If System Utterly
Broken" ... Just press the following keys, waiting a while after each
step.

Alt + SysRq (Print Screen)

    + r     Switch the keyboard from raw mode, the mode used by programs such
            as X11 and svgalib, to XLATE mode
    + e     Send the SIGTERM signal to all processes except init (PID 1)
    + i     Send the SIGKILL signal to all processes except init
    + s     Sync all mounted filesystems
    + u     Remount all mounted filesystems in read-only mode
    + b     Immediately reboot the system.

and voilà the system reboots and your data is as safe as possible.

with kind regards

    Wolodja Wentland

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key