Re: CVS & Co

In <[🔎] 20090819090922.GC7398@borusse.tmr.net>, Alex Huth wrote:
>I want to use CVS for systemadministration. I have never used one so far,
> so my knowledge is very poor about that topic.

Unless you have existing CVS clients, you should use a different VCS.  Even
if you have existing CVS clients, some VCS can pretend to be CVS and they
may be preferable if you can migrate your data easily.

I'm not such what you mean "for systemadministration".  I've heard of
keeping /etc or other configurations in a VCS but not done so myself.  I
believe there are "higher-level" tools to accomplish this, especially since
most VCSes intentionally don't store the full permission bits of files and
that can be critical for secure system administration.

>What would you use in my situation? I prefer a console based application.

I've used CVS and Subversion with good success, but I am convinced that a
DVCS is a better model.  As far as DVCS, I am most familiar with git; it
seems to perform quite well (unless you are storing rather large files) and
has a relatively low barrier-to-entry as far as infrastructure or library
dependencies.  It does expose some details of the DVCS internals that can
confuse new users; Bazaar and Mercurial may be easier to learn.  Darcs and
Monotone are interesting, but I can't recommend them for most
users/projects.