Re: Package Version Numbers

In <[🔎] d22s75dr09nm94jfkohhd3q0nj6hh82l6t@4ax.com>, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>I am running Debian Stable on a server.  The package in
>stable right now is called "5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3".  I called my new
>packages "5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1".  I have the following
>settings in my apt.conf file in case I ever need to install anything
>from testing or unstable:

apt.conf?

I think these setting are from /etc/apt/preferences, not /etc/apt/apt.conf
or /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/

>Package: *
>Pin: release a=lenny-backports
>Pin-Priority: 800
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release a=volatile
>Pin-Priority: 600
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release a=stable
>Pin-Priority: 500
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release a=testing
>Pin-Priority: 300
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release a=unstable
>Pin-Priority: 200
>
>But, now aptitude wants to install the PHP package from testing when I
>do a safe-upgrade.  What should I have called my custom build PHP
>package so it would not want to upgrade it to testing?

Installed packages that are not available in a repository have a priority of
100.  You could pin (by version) your custom package version to 400 or so.
Alternatively would could put your local packages in a local repository and
pin that repository to 400 or so.  apt-ftparchive can be quite useful for
small, local repositories.