Re: Package Version Numbers

In <[🔎] 47pt7511s56vq779jtfp2ap0059a8m4et7@4ax.com>, Jeff Grossman wrote:
>mail:~# apt-cache policy php5
>php5:
>  Installed: 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1
>  Candidate: 5.2.9.dfsg.1-4
>  Version table:
>     5.2.10.dfsg.1-2 0
>        200 http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>     5.2.9.dfsg.1-4 0
>        300 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
> *** 5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1 0
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3 0
>        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>        500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
>
>What I don't understand is how come the candidate is 5.2.9 when that
>has a pinning of 300, clearly lower than 5.2.6.

Because apt refuses to downgrade unless a specific version is specified (or
the priority is > 1000).  Downgrades aren't supportable; they may work most
of the time but if they don't they are virtually impossible to fix.

So, when apt is considering which version to install it starts with:
	5.2.10.dfsg.1-2              	200
	5.2.9.dfsg.1-4               	300
	5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1	100
	5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3        	500

Now, it throws away anything with a priority of less than 0, but that
doesn't change anything.  Then, it throws away anything if a version of less
tham 5.2.6.ddfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1 (current version) and a priority of less
than 1000.  This leaves:
	5.2.10.dfsg.1-2              	200
	5.2.9.dfsg.1-4               	300
	5.2.6.dfsg.1-1+lenny3+custom1	100

At this point, it chooses the one(s) with the highest priority:
	5.2.9.dfsg.1-4               	300

Since there's only one version left, it is the candidate.  If there were
multiple versions left it would choose the one with the highest version.

>Did I use the correct naming convention when I setup my custom version
>of PHP?

Yes, but running a mixed system (or even a not-mixed system with testing and
unstable in your sources.list) requires a but more effort than running pure
stable.