Re: mutt: compose message in new window [was: Re: Musings on debian-user list]

On Sat,01.Aug.09, 16:06:08, Chris Jones wrote:

> > http://does-not-exist.org/mail-archives/mutt-users/msg14344.html
>
> The mutt-user archive seems to be broken - if you display this message
> and try to display the thread index, it does display an index but there
> is no trace of this particular thread, which makes the ensuing
> discussion difficult to follow..

You can use the "Next by thread" link.

> So, I'm not sure I understand the solution & how it improves on:
>
>   → :sh while composing in vim
>   → start new instance of mutt
>   → do what you have to do - e.g. copy parts of messages
>   → 'q'+'Ctrl-D' to return to composing

The proposed solution involves the script[1]:

,----[ external-reply.sh ]
| #!/bin/sh
| DRAFT="$1"
| cp "$DRAFT" "$DRAFT.tmp"
| (
|     xterm -e "exec mutt -H \"$DRAFT.tmp\""
|     sleep 1
|     rm -f "$DRAFT.tmp"
| ) &
|
| exit 0
`----

which you set as your editor (set editor="external-reply.sh"). Now
whenever you compose a message it opens in a new xterm and you can use
the first mutt to do whatever you want.

The only trouble with it is that the second mutt prompts for "To:" and
"Subject:". There's a hint in the thread about using a macro to work
around it, but I don't have any idea where to start.

[1] In order to debianize "xterm -e" should be replaced with
"x-terminal-emulator -e sh -c".

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)