Re: mutt: compose message in new window [was: Re: Musings on debian-user list]

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 06:13:31PM EDT, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,01.Aug.09, 16:06:08, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > > http://does-not-exist.org/mail-archives/mutt-users/msg14344.html
> >
> > The mutt-user archive seems to be broken - if you display this message
> > and try to display the thread index, it does display an index but there
> > is no trace of this particular thread, which makes the ensuing
> > discussion difficult to follow..
>
> You can use the "Next by thread" link.

What I did.. but you don't know who posted what.. and when you have to
go through 4-5 useless posts before you get to the one that has serious
content.

> > So, I'm not sure I understand the solution & how it improves on:
> >
> >   → :sh while composing in vim
> >   → start new instance of mutt
> >   → do what you have to do - e.g. copy parts of messages
> >   → 'q'+'Ctrl-D' to return to composing
>
> The proposed solution involves the script[1]:
>
> ,----[ external-reply.sh ]
> | #!/bin/sh
> | DRAFT="$1"
> | cp "$DRAFT" "$DRAFT.tmp"
> | (
> |     xterm -e "exec mutt -H \"$DRAFT.tmp\""
> |     sleep 1
> |     rm -f "$DRAFT.tmp"
> | ) &
> |
> | exit 0
> `----
>
> which you set as your editor (set editor="external-reply.sh"). Now
> whenever you compose a message it opens in a new xterm and you can use
> the first mutt to do whatever you want.

Thanks for clarifying..!

I got this to work for me under gnu screen - you just need to replace
the xterm invocation by:

screen -X screen mutt -H "$DRAFT.tmp"

and mutt+vim is launched in a newly created screen "window". You can
then split the screen and cause the original mutt session to inhabit the
new window.

> The only trouble with it is that the second mutt prompts for "To:" and
> "Subject:". There's a hint in the thread about using a macro to work
> around it, but I don't have any idea where to start.

In my case, it's just a matter of hitting <enter> twice because "To:",

Thanks much for clarifying.