Re: can't get a terminal in icewm until after I start iceweasel

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:38:41 -0700, Kevin Ross wrote:

>> This is in testing (currently squeeze, I believe).
>>
>> I log in using gdm.  My default window manager is icewm. I click on the
>> little square icon on the bar at the bottom (the one that
>> says "XTerm" in a white box when I hover the nouse over it), and
>> nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> I do this repeatedly, and still nothing happens.
>>
>> I start iceweasel, and wait until it comes up.
>>
>> Now, when I press the xterm icon, an xterm comes up quickly.
>>
>> Presumably, iceweasel starts some kind of service that the so-called
>> xterm depends on.  I say "so-called" because this is *not* the terminal
>> get when following the menu
>>
>> debian->Programs->Applications->Terminal Emulators->xterm,
>>
>> which does not respond to control-plus.  I suspect the terminal I get
>> from the icon may be the same as the one I get by following
>>
>> debian->Programs->Applications->Terminal Emulators->Gnome Terminal,
>> which
>> does honour control-plus and also won't start up before iceweasel.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>
> One way to see what terminal program you're running is with the "ps aux"
> command.
>
> To determine why gnome-terminal won't start, try starting it from the
> command line, and looking at the output.  To do this, log in via gdm on
> the computer, and then switch to another virtual terminal (by hitting
> Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in if necessary, and run the following:
>
> gnome-terminal --display=:0
>
> If it fails to start, it should output something indicating why.
>
> You can switch back to your graphical desktop with Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Instead, I first opened an ordinary xterm, and did the following:

hendrik@lovesong:~$ gnome-terminal &
[1] 7064
hendrik@lovesong:~$ Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.

[1]+  Exit 1                  gnome-terminal
hendrik@lovesong:~$

A clue, but it's possible that xterm doesn't set up the right environment.

Following your instructions, the output from

    gnome-terminal --display=:0

gave a few more details:

Failed to get the session bus: dbus-launch failed to autolaunch D-Bus
session: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

Falling back to non-factory mode.
Failed to contact the GConf daemon; exiting.

So evidently, gnome-terminal has trouble setting up some kind of dbus
channel.  Once firefox is up, though, the channel must be ready and
waiting.  So firefox manages to set up something that genome-terminal
fails at.  Is this a deficiency in gnome-terminal?  Or is it some
horrible configuration problem that failed to upgrade correctly?  This
*is* testing, after all.

> Hope this helps!

I hope so too!

> -- Kevin