can't get a terminal in icewm until after I start iceweasel

This is in testing (currently squeeze, I believe).

I log in using gdm.  My default window manager is icewm.
I click on the little square icon on the bar at the bottom (the one that
says "XTerm" in a white box when I hover the nouse over it), and nothing
happens.

I do this repeatedly, and still nothing happens.

I start iceweasel, and wait until it comes up.

Now, when I press the xterm icon, an xterm comes up quickly.

Presumably, iceweasel starts some kind of service that the so-called
xterm depends on.  I say "so-called" because this is *not* the terminal I
get when following the menu

debian->Programs->Applications->Terminal Emulators->xterm,

which does not respond to control-plus.  I suspect the terminal I get
from the icon may be the same as the one I get by following

debian->Programs->Applications->Terminal Emulators->Gnome Terminal, which
does honour control-plus and also won't start up before iceweasel.

-- hendrik