RE: can't get a terminal in icewm until after I start iceweasel

> This is in testing (currently squeeze, I believe).
>
> I log in using gdm.  My default window manager is icewm.
> I click on the little square icon on the bar at the bottom
> (the one that
> says "XTerm" in a white box when I hover the nouse over it),
> and nothing
> happens.
>
> I do this repeatedly, and still nothing happens.
>
> I start iceweasel, and wait until it comes up.
>
> Now, when I press the xterm icon, an xterm comes up quickly.
>
> Presumably, iceweasel starts some kind of service that the so-called
> xterm depends on.  I say "so-called" because this is *not*
> the terminal I
> get when following the menu
>
> debian->Programs->Applications->Terminal Emulators->xterm,
>
> which does not respond to control-plus.  I suspect the terminal I get
> from the icon may be the same as the one I get by following
>
> debian->Programs->Applications->Terminal Emulators->Gnome
> Terminal, which
> does honour control-plus and also won't start up before iceweasel.
>
> -- hendrik

One way to see what terminal program you're running is with the "ps aux"
command.

To determine why gnome-terminal won't start, try starting it from the
command line, and looking at the output.  To do this, log in via gdm on the
computer, and then switch to another virtual terminal (by hitting
Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in if necessary, and run the following:

gnome-terminal --display=:0

If it fails to start, it should output something indicating why.

You can switch back to your graphical desktop with Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin