my initramds won't activate my encrypted root fs, although debian's work

Hi,

I'm at my wit's end over this, after much googling and grappling with
the problem for hours.

I recently reinstalled Debian on my laptop, since I wanted to move to
whole disk encryption, and although I could have done it without
reinstalling (by moving the system off to my external HDD, which I
anyway had to do for my personal data), I decided to enjoy a
reinstallation, learn more about the system and installer, and get rid
of a great deal of accumulated cruft while I'm at it.

The difficult saga of the installation itself is a story for a
different time (an installation report, which I'll mention here if
anyone's interested) but I'm currently utterly baffled by this: stock
debian kernels (2.6.26-2-686 installed by the installer, and
2.6.30-1-686 that I added from the repos) and their initramds properly
unlock the encrypted volume when I provide the correct password and
then proceed with the boot, but my own kernels (2.6.30 and
2.6.31-rc4-xxxx, from mainline git repo) don't.  They ask for the
password, but fail to unlock the volume:

table:254:0:	error allocating crypto tfm
ioctl:		error adding target to table
ioctl:		device doesn't appear to be in the dev hash table
Command failed: failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for device /dev/hda4
Check that kernel supports aes-cbc-essiv:sha_256 cipher

Google turns up various discussions of this error over the last couple
of years, but they all seem to have been caused by transitions in the
kernel / cryptsetup / initramfs development, and they all seem to have
been fixed.  I've opened my initrds and debian's with gzip / cpio and
compared the included modules and scripts, and I just can't figure out
what's wrong with mine and why.  I seem to have all the required crypto
modules, and I can't see anything that I'm missing.  I'm attaching the
output of "find" run against the directory into which I unpacked the
initrd.  All initrds have been created by initramfs.

Any hints or advice will be much appreciated.

Celejar