Re: Musings on debian-user list

On Wed, Jul 29 2009, AG wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28 2009, AG wrote:
>>

>>> Care to elaborate on that, John?  This is a serious question - I used
>>> to use Xfce back in the days of Slackware 8.1, but that was still a WM
>>> (or was that a DE?).  Are you referring to those FWM-like systems, or
>>> something entirely different?
>>>

>>         I use fvwm.  This allows far more control: for example, see here
>>  for window decorations:
>>    http://www.twobarleycorns.net/fvwm-decors.html>
>>         Here is a mac osxy look and feel using fvwm:
>>    http://www.guistyles.com/wp-gallery/fvwmmilk2ny.jpg>  A bit snow blindingly white, but it has decent aesthetics.
>>
>>         Here are some screen shots:
>>    http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/>
>>         Here is where you see a tutorial to create bouncing docks, all
>>  by yourself:
>>    http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/advanced_buttons.html>
>>         Here is a tutorial:
>>    http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/index.html>
>>         You get to create gestures, and bind them to keys, and with
>>  fvwm-themes it is themable, it can be extended, and you can use perl
>>  functions to add to fvwm.
>>
>>         All in all, I would say while heavy customization takes time,
>>  you can rarely get this level of control elsewhere.
>>
>>         manoj
>>
> Manoj
>
> That's a really impressive set of eye candy actually.  I like the look
> of it.  In the past, looking at FVWM it has appeared grey and "clunky"
> in its unaltered state and I guess that I just backed away from
> fiddling with all of the configurations.  Same reason I have tended
> not to go beyond dipping my toe in fluxbox/ blackbox waters.  But,
> from the pics you have shown it looks like it might be worth playing
> with in the background on a slow work/ study day because the
> configurations don't appear too taxing if approached methodically.
>
> Thank you for that.  Certainly worth taking a more sympathetic and
> closer look than I have hitherto done.

        Two things. Firstly, the default out-of-box fvwm in Debian comes
 with a theme, so it no longer looks as clunky -- it has working menus,
 and is set up to help people easily modify it.

        Things can be improved by using fvwm-themes -- there are
 unofficial debs out there on the main site.

        Also, if you want more eye candy, look at hat you can get out of
 the box if you use fvwm-themes: and you can switch between these with a
 single menu option (no editing configuration files):

        http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/screenshots/

        manoj
--
One good turn deserves another. Gaius Petronius