Re: Musings on debian-user list

If it's any consolation, I'm a newbie and I actually chose Debian as my first real Linux install even though I heard it was tougher for newbies to learn.  To me it represented one of the purest distros of Linux and I don't mind putting in the time/research.  A few days ago I installed Ubuntu on the girlfriend's laptop and my (admittedly very limited) Debian knowledge came in handy.  I even chose "Clearlooks" under Preferences->Appearance for her laptop, so that she gets accustomed to a standard Debian Gnome desktop environment as it is my plan to eventually get her over to Debian.  Muahahaha (evil laugh).

Mark

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Michael Pobega<pobega@fuzzydev.org> wrote:
> On  0, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Tim Beauregard<tim.beauregard@sky.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I recently re-subscribed having been off for about four years.  The
>> > changes I have noticed are:
>> >
>> > 1. Much less traffic.  I previously got 250+ posts per day.  Now 50-100.
>> >  Could this be due to the development of ubuntu?
>>
>> After read this thread, only to be informative, from ubuntu-users
>> bird, debian-user has more posts until now (2004-10 - 2009-07):
>>
>> DEB: 192759
>> UBU: 189287
>>
>> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/about
>>

> Yeah, but you have to keep in mind that Ubuntu's mailing list isn't the
> community's main way of keeping in touch. They use their forums[2] more than
> anything.
>
> [2] http://ubuntuforums.org/

Of course, there winning them :). I don't like forums, but I recognize
that ubuntu forums are very useful (and responsive). They win even
linuxquestion.org!!

DEB: 16405 members, 39581 threads, 239727 posts
UBU: 881,910 members, 1114360 threads, 7131124 posts
LQ: 411919 members, 736562 threads,  3615492 posts