Re: Musings on debian-user list

On Tue, Jul 28 2009, AG wrote:

> Care to elaborate on that, John?  This is a serious question - I used
> to use Xfce back in the days of Slackware 8.1, but that was still a WM
> (or was that a DE?).  Are you referring to those FWM-like systems, or
> something entirely different?

        I use fvwm.  This allows far more control: for example, see here
 for window decorations:
   http://www.twobarleycorns.net/fvwm-decors.html

        Here is a mac osxy look and feel using fvwm:
   http://www.guistyles.com/wp-gallery/fvwmmilk2ny.jpg
 A bit snow blindingly white, but it has decent aesthetics.

        Here are some screen shots:
   http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/

        Here is where you see a tutorial to create bouncing docks, all
 by yourself:
   http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/advanced_buttons.html

        Here is a tutorial:
   http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/index.html

        You get to create gestures, and bind them to keys, and with
 fvwm-themes it is themable, it can be extended, and you can use perl
 functions to add to fvwm.

        All in all, I would say while heavy customization takes time,
 you can rarely get this level of control elsewhere.

        manoj
--
The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for
the reader.