Re: Musings on debian-user list

* Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> [090728 13:33]:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:09:59 -0700
> Mark <mamarcac@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > When I feel adventurous one weekend I'll try a Debian install without
> > the desktop environment.  I think this email list is filled with
> > people very comfortable using no desktop environment, but for those
> > of us raised on Windoze it takes some time to transition over.  :)
>
> In the meantime you might like and make use of Peter Garrett's INX.
> (Sorry, it's Ubuntu-based, not _strictly_ Debian):
> "INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Also interesting is http://grml.org , a live CD based on Debian sid
(with some install-to-HD scripts) "...for system administrators and
users of texttools".

It's what introduced me to Debian (and a lot of great software!).
A framebuffer console w/ GNU screen as a textmode "window manager"
has been my primary setup for the past few years. Just wish I could
toggle over to a VT running a graphical web-browser... but the X
Windowing System does not play nicely with the framebuffer console.
[ http://osdir.com/ml/debian-user-debian/2009-06/msg00965.html ]

John

--
John Magolske