Re: request for a mono vote.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:36:43 +0300
aprekates <aprekates@gmail.com> wrote:

> O/H Gregory Seidman ??????:
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 08:06:31PM +0300, ???????? ?????????? wrote:

> >> 2) MS is a monopoly in desktop OS market and its monopoly aggresive
> >> behavior has been proven in courts and is evident every day. see netbook
> >> market for example.  Wouldnt a pro-ms pro-monopoly  move harm the
> >> excellent name Debian has  build?
> >>

> > That has nothing to do with Mono. Mono is not tied to MS in any way. The
> > software has been implemented independently and under open source
> > licenses (GPL, LGPL, and MIT X11, depending on which piece):
> >
> > http://www.mono-project.com/Mono,_a_technical_whitepaper#Mono_Licensing

> I think you see the technical angle and not a broader concern that i
> tried to draw, maybe hastily ,
> vaguely or not expert-legaly i admit. I see the fog of a middleware
> battle going on for decades
> and mono is the linux implementation of MS middleware .
>
> Also i dont see how Perl, PHP , Ruby , TCL are compared with the extent
> of a middlewe API like
> java,or .net. Do they provide the same functionality in scope ? Correct
> me , but i think that that argument is
> valid for java mainly. Not sure, but i think that java and .net are more
> ambitious than scripting languages , and programming languages . So i
> think it'be vary informative to draw a parallel about mono and java free
> implementations
> and discuss about merits ands risks for possibly default inclusion in
> debian and generally in dists.
>
> Finally forgive me for being suspicious about the benevolent monopolist
> who runs from court to court! .Dont expect me to sympathize with pro-ms
> pro-monopolist moves.

I'm not taking a position, but FWIW, here's Linus's perspective:

    “Oh, I’m a big believer in “technology over politics”. I don’t care
who it comes from, as long as there are solid reasons for the code, and
as long as we don’t have to worry about licensing etc issues.

    In fact, to some degree, I’d be more likely to include it because
it’s from a new member of the community rather than less (again, I’d
like to point out that drivers are special. They don’t impact other
things, so they get merged much more easily than some core changes).

    I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I
think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development,
and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also
not shutting other people and companies out.

    There are ‘extremists’ in the free software world, but that’s one
major reason why I don’t call what I do ‘free software’ any more. I
don’t want to be associated with the people for whom it’s about
exclusion and hatred.”

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7439/1.html

hat tip:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/07/25/1757253/Linus-Calls-Microsoft-Hatred-a-Disease