Re: Back up routines

On 2009-07-26 12:48, AG wrote:
Generally I have relied on the separate partitioning of my /home directory as some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure.

Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week? It would be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an USB. It would be best if the application was able to tell what has changed between backup sessions to back up only that which is new, but perhaps that is the default anyway.

Any recommendations please?

A cron job implies that the external drive must be constantly attached to the computer, which leaves it vulnerable to electrical surges.

Thus, when I'm ready to do a backup, I power-up/plug in the USB drive and manually run a script.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/backup.files.sh.txt

Since I purposefully keep most already-compressed files in their own directories, I exclude them from the "tar bzip2" commands, and then simply tar those directories.

After that, umount and unplug.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer