Re: Emails [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2009-07-24 17:01, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>>
>>> I'd suggest one of the dozen free e-mail services around.
>>>
>> You've never worked in a security-conscious bureaucracy, have you?
>>

> Not really, but I can nevertheless imagine that even a
> not-so-security-conscious bureaucracy would want to block Gmail, Yahoo
> and the likes.
>
> I can also imagine that if a security-conscious bureaucracy does not
> want its employees to access external e-mail services, it will also not
> want those employees to use their corporate e-mails to post in mailing
> lists that are unrelated to the work in question. (Unless his job
> happens to be a Debian system administrator, in which case it posting to
> debian-user hardly qualifies as something not work-related.)

The set of assumptions here and elsewhere in the thread is interesting
and, I think, seriously harmful to the reputation of the community.
When someone posts to a technical mailing list from a work account, I
usually assume that it is related to their work.  The prevailing
assumption in this thread seems to be the other way around.

And if it is related to their work, and they do not have a way to
disable such disclaimers, it does not speak well of the community *at
all* to continually berate the poster for posting with a disclaimer.
It says any or all of the following:

 * Get a different job
 * Institutions with various rules shouldn't use Debian because their
employees can't get good community support using the resources they are
provided for obtaining such support.
 * Employees should bypass organizational (or legal!) requirements just
to satisfy the whims of people who don't want to see the disclaimer.
 * The Debian user community has a high population of jerks, don't ask
them for help.

Yes, typical disclaimers are nonsensical on public lists.  BUT, taking
the poster to task so aggressively and for so long when it is likely
entirely outside his or her control is entirely inappropriate.  Talk
about shooting the messenger.

- Michael