Re: compensating for dhcp which only provides useless dns

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:50:08PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

> wireless works fine except at one location where my guess is that the
> DNS is not set up correctly.

> but I haven't figured out how /etc/resolv.conf is being
> overwritten or where I can put the working nameserver addresses

The name server address goes into /etc/resolv.conf. Other places to
check are /etc/default/bind9 and /etc/network/interfaces.

You can always read /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/DNS-HOWTO.gz and set
up your own name server which would make you independent from what
DHCP provides --- and how do you know that you can trust the name
servers that are provided? It's likely to be faster, too.