Re: Moving to Sid (was Re: normal firefox for debian lenny 64bit?)

On 2009-07-22 15:20, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:27:30 -0400, Damon wrote in message <[🔎] 1248190050.3741.40.camel@dam-main>:

On 2009-07-21 08:46, Soren Orel wrote:
But where can I download SID?? I just can't find an e.g.:
"download amd64cd for sid"...:(
This is Debian, not Ubuntu!  Upgrading-in-place is Easy.

Presuming you have a good internet connection, this *should* be all you need to do:

1. Edit sources.list, replacing all lenny or stable references with
    testing.

..you meant "sid" or "unstable", "testing" buys you Squeeze and whatever follows it, and you volonteer as a test user, for Debian. ;o)

2. # apt(itude) update && apt(itude) dist-upgrade

3. Reboot. to activate new kernel.

4. Edit sources.list, replacing testing with unstable.

5. # apt(itude) update && apt(itude) dist-upgrade

6. Reboot, to activate new kernel.

..steps 4, 5 and 6 are necessary why? Me, I've always been successful going straight to Sid.

I always (not that I need to do it often) make the intermediate step. Guess I'm just a Nervous Nelly about some things.

But then, when I *do* do it, it's always with a minimal system, where I wait until I'm on Sid to install the bulk of the packages.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer