Re: MTA experts: address rewriting depending on next hop

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:03:01PM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> Here's the question again: which one of the abundance of MTAs in
> Debian is capable of address rewriting depending on destination?

Exim4 can do this.

If I understand you right, you want to rewrite the addresses of mail
that is outgoing to hosts not on your LAN --- but you do not want to
rewrite the addresses of mail outgoing to other hosts on your LAN.

If that's what you want, you probably need to rewrite the addresses of
all mail that doesn't go to the domain used on your LAN. I assume that
you are running your own name server for the LAN --- if you don't, you
should. But then, why do you need to rewrite the addresses? Do you
want to use one host that does address rewriting as a smarthost, or do
you want to do address rewriting on all hosts on the LAN?

> I'm not to lazy to read documentation, but if at all possible not for
> all MTAs.

The documentation of Exim4 is outstanding. I haven't seen any better
for anything yet.