Re: MTA experts: address rewriting depending on next hop

Oops, this one slipped by me since I have moved the question to
d-devel, sorry for not Ccing d-user.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 16:10 -0600, lee wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:03:01PM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> >
> > Here's the question again: which one of the abundance of MTAs in
> > Debian is capable of address rewriting depending on destination?
>
> Exim4 can do this.

Nope, cf thread on d-devel, should be in the archives.

> If I understand you right, you want to rewrite the addresses of mail
> that is outgoing to hosts not on your LAN --- but you do not want to
> rewrite the addresses of mail outgoing to other hosts on your LAN.

exactly, frankly spoken after >12 hours w/o useful response I didn't
expect d-u to be the right place to ask this question.

> If that's what you want, you probably need to rewrite the addresses of
> all mail that doesn't go to the domain used on your LAN. I assume that
> you are running your own name server for the LAN --- if you don't, you
> should.

Sure I do, a combination of djbdns & dnsmasq for a records generated
on the fly.

> But then, why do you need to rewrite the addresses?

Look at the Received: headers in my mails, afaict winnegan.fake is no
valid domain outside my lan and using outside  would provoke harsh
reactions.

> Do you want to use one host that does address rewriting as a
> smarthost, or do you want to do address rewriting on all hosts on
> the LAN?

The smarthost is responsible for rewriting.

> > I'm not to lazy to read documentation, but if at all possible not for
> > all MTAs.

> The documentation of Exim4 is outstanding. I haven't seen any better
> for anything yet.

It's really good now but I switched to postfix >5 years ago and still
don't see a reason to change my preferred MTA.

thanks for your response
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de