Re: X11 without HAL: "DontZap" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't work anymore

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Wed,15.Jul.09, 17:55:49, Nate Bargmann wrote:
I actually like HAL as it has relieved me of a great deal of tedium. That said, I'm sure there are corner cases where it can be a pain.

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide has some explanation of why hal is needed.

Until now, HAL wasn't and will never be needed by me and many others. It is enforced per dependency now, but not needed.

The absence of stuff like HAL was what made me switch from Windows to Linux in the first place.

Why don't people, who like it, use the real Windows instead of turning Linux into it and forcing advanced users down to their level?

                                                                   It
does seem as though there is a strong sentiment against HAL from
several users.  You might contact the Xorg developers and ask nicely
for them to remove the dependency.

I don't think this is such a good idea. The Debian X Strike Force (Xorg maintainers) already received a lot of heat over this. Providing an alternative would be better. Anyway, see #515214.

Regards,
Andrei

Yes, an alternative would be to remove the dependency and make the HAL package optional again.

Dirk