Re: Uptimes - any guidance? [moving OT]

AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> writes:

> Allen Kenner wrote:
>> I use FreeBSD
>> instead for BSDs as it's closer to the stuff from Berkeley,
>
> Yeah, FreeBSD has always interested me, but I have yet to try it.
> Maybe once I've finished my current project and have some time on my
> hands, I may well look to dual boot FreeBSD and Debian, just to see if
> there's any difference.  Are there any issues regarding UID flags for
> /home for example on a shared Debian/ FreeBSD machine, if both OSs try
> to access the same directory?

I am currently running FreeBSD inside of VirtualBox under Lenny, and
it works reasonably well.  The UID was different for myself, so I just
changed it after I installed.  I am now using ssh to communicate
without any problems.  There are a number of other differences on how
they do things.  Many programs, such as ls and ps, have different
command line options, so I often need to check to see if they support
the options that I am used to.  Mostly it seems comparable, but Debian
seems a little more finished in most things.

>> I rarely reboot ever. One of the things that made me use Linux and BSD
>> to begin with was me being tired of rebooting for a MEDIA PLAYER! I
>> couldn't believe I had to reboot for it, and got fed up. Now, I reboot
>> only to add hardware. (I use FreeBSD, Slackware, SUSE, Mandriva, Debian,
>> and Solaris).
>>
> Aaah Slackware ... I still have fondness for Slackware and enjoyed
> using it from 8.1 to 11.0  However, I confess to having become quite
> spoiled by the package management system of Debian (and I suspect that
> FreeBSD and Gentoo are similar with ports and portage respectively).

Ports are source, but they have a binary package system also.  I
mostly use the binary packages, but I prefer Debian's package system.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org