Re: Uptimes - any guidance?

AG wrote:
Hello list

I'm running Squeeze on a desktop and so far have an uptime of some 11d. I am just curious whether or not there is any guidance/ advice on how long uptimes should be allowed to be run, or whether it is wise to shut down and reboot?

I'm thinking "wise" as from the perspective of the system and its overall functioning, etc. By way of comparison, I have a headless OpenBSD box running nothing but firewall and router and it is a workhorse - just keeps on going and going. I'm sure I have clocked uptimes of 90+ days on that without a problem.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

AG

Many thanks to all who replied to my query.

The overwhelming opinion is leave it on unless there are good reasons to reboot - such as a kernel &/or security upgrade or when changing hardware. That works for me. I have also made note of Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.'s suggestions about cleaning up files, etc., without rebooting.

Thank you for all of your comments.

Best wishes

AG