Re: Uptimes - any guidance? [moving OT]

AG wrote:
> Allen Kenner wrote:
>> AG wrote:
> That's an interesting opinion, and certainly not one that I've come
> across before (about OBSD, not de Raadt, who I couldn't comment on).  I
> was under the impression that OBSD was considered one of the best OSs
> for security, due to the security audit of all lines of code, automatic
> lockdown of services by default, and strong encryption, as well as the
> OBSD's team uncompromising stance on openness, etc.  So just interesting
> to hear such an apparently widly divergent opinion on the OS.

The code audit is done by a lot of OSs. SUSE Linux has been doing a line
by line audit for years now, and so have a lot of others. FreeBSD has
been as well.

This is only my opinion, but if you take really any Linux or BSD,
install it, get it patched and up to date, and then shut off everything,
it's fairly similar. The whole system really is like a lot of BSDs out
there just with the stuff all shut off.

I can't remember where I started reading up on all of this, but if I
find a link I'll have to send it, it was a very interesting read and
talked about how OpenBSD and the rest of the BSDs and Linux distros all
could keep up with OpenBSD because they have all been doing code audits,
and simply shutting everything off would do the same thing almost.

Sorry for the long reply, but I can't remember where I read this, but
some of it can be found in a few of the FreeBSD books.

> Yeah, FreeBSD has always interested me, but I have yet to try it.  Maybe
> once I've finished my current project and have some time on my hands, I
> may well look to dual boot FreeBSD and Debian, just to see if there's
> any difference.  Are there any issues regarding UID flags for /home for
> example on a shared Debian/ FreeBSD machine, if both OSs try to access
> the same directory?

I've only dual booted FreeBSD with Slackware before, so this one might
be one for you to just try out, but I do know that Linux and FreeBSD all
live and play fine together on the same machine, and it's actually kind
of nice because you have two machines to test. The Debian BSD thing may
be of some interest to you :)

> Aaah Slackware ... I still have fondness for Slackware and enjoyed using
> it from 8.1 to 11.0  However, I confess to having become quite spoiled
> by the package management system of Debian (and I suspect that FreeBSD
> and Gentoo are similar with ports and portage respectively).

Yea, Debian has probably the best thought out Package system of the
Linux distros. I always liked FreeBSD's, but for Linux I think Debian
has it right on.