Re: Services / Runlevel editor

Chris Burkhardt wrote:
> I think any one of these packages can do what you want, some more user-friendly
> than others:
>
> chkconfig - system tool to enable or disable system services
> rcconf - Debian Runlevel configuration tool
> sysv-rc-conf - SysV init runlevel configuration tool for the terminal
> sysvconfig - A text menu based utility for configuring init script links
> sysv-rc - System-V-like runlevel change mechanism
>
> These packages contain GUI tools for managing services:

Thank you so much!!!! This was exactly what I was trying to ask for but
I had no idea what it was called... Damn I feel dumb now, I think it was
because of the lack of sleep...

To the other posts, I was having trouble describing what I was tyring to
say, and I was rambling again, sorry about that, but now that I can
think a little better, basically, I have multiple Desktops and Laptops,
and I have a single machine I use for an FTP server that also runs SSH,
and then I have the rest of my boxes set up for various tasks, and
though I do firewall my machines, I just like being able to shut off
services and edit the run levels that certain things run in, but had
trouble describing it.

> bum - graphical runlevel editor
> ksysv - KDE SysV-style init configuration editor
> gnome-system-tools - Cross-platform configuration utilities for GNOME
> kde-guidance - collection of KDE system administration tools
>
> I know, too many choices. I use sysv-rc-conf to set up which services are
> started by default, and start and stop services manually (e.g.
> #/etc/init.d/service stop) or using invoke-rc.d (from the sysv-rc package --
> some of the above packages contain a 'services' command which does the same
> thing). Good luck :)

Yea that was basically what I was trying to say about shutting things
off without a tool that does it for you. I also have some Database apps
that I don't always need loaded, so it's nice to be able to shut them
off when not in use. That was more or less what I was trying to say just
couldn't think clearly from sleep problems.