Re: Services / Runlevel editor

Allen Kenner wrote:
> Hey all,
[...]
> In SUSE, I'd use YAST2 and open the Runlevel editor so I could set up
> what I wanted as far as running processes, and shut off servers I didn't
> need running. In Slackware I just didn't set up many by default and only
> started what I wanted, but on Debian, what are the tools available for this?
[...]
> So is there an application you guys use for Debian to turn processes off
> and on? Any help is appreciated, thanks much, and Hope this wasn't to long,

I think any one of these packages can do what you want, some more user-friendly
than others:

chkconfig - system tool to enable or disable system services
rcconf - Debian Runlevel configuration tool
sysv-rc-conf - SysV init runlevel configuration tool for the terminal
sysvconfig - A text menu based utility for configuring init script links
sysv-rc - System-V-like runlevel change mechanism

These packages contain GUI tools for managing services:

bum - graphical runlevel editor
ksysv - KDE SysV-style init configuration editor
gnome-system-tools - Cross-platform configuration utilities for GNOME
kde-guidance - collection of KDE system administration tools

I know, too many choices. I use sysv-rc-conf to set up which services are
started by default, and start and stop services manually (e.g.
#/etc/init.d/service stop) or using invoke-rc.d (from the sysv-rc package --
some of the above packages contain a 'services' command which does the same
thing). Good luck :)

- Chris B