Re: Need help with sound on Lenny desk-top host

On Fri,26.Jun.09, 21:24:42, Paul E Condon wrote:

>     *  make sure the sound channel levels are up and unmuted (using alsamixer),
> I not sure. alsamixer display did not look familiar and it was not at all clear what the
> iconic display was indicating. Further I wasn't able to change the appearance of the
> display by clicking of any of the icons/features... How should one start alsomixer?
> Command line? click on an Icon that I have not found? How?

the sound levels and <m> will mute/unmute the respective channel (it
will show [OO] if it's active and [MM] if it's muted). If you're still
not sure everything is ok try alsamixergui.

>     *  make sure arts and esound are not running,
> How? Do they appear in the ps -ef display if they are running? They were neither in
> that display. But is that how to 'make sure'?

Please post the output of

ps aux | egrep -i 'arts|esd'

>     *  make sure no OSS modules are loaded,
> The string 'OSS' does not appear in the output of lsmod. Is that sufficient? Or do
> these OSS modules have individual names that should be searched for?

Please post the output of

lsmod | grep oss

>     *  check whether the command
>           cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
>         works for root.
> What should this command do? Make a noise? Blink a light? What? In fact it does nothing
> for about 5seconds and then terminates with the error message:
>    "cat: write error: No space left on device"
> Is this behavior what is meant by 'working'? Likely, not, IMHO, but what should be
> done about it?

Uhh, that's a bug in the release notes (I'll report as soon as I can
come up with a patch), you can't have /dev/dsp if you don't have oss
modules loaded. Try this instead:

speaker-test -c2 -l1

You should hear a "whush" (I don't know how to describe "pink sound" in
english) coming from the left speaker, than the right and then it will
stop.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)