Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:17:33 +0100
Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 02:11:31PM +0800, 明覺 wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Micha Feigin<michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
>
> > > is far from simple. There are things you can do in python in one line that you
> > > would need 100s of lines of code with c.
> > 100s of lines of C code? how about drop the 100 lines into a function?
>
> You still need to put those 100s of lines of code in somewhere.

Thats not my problem. Even with python the 100s of lines are there behind the
scenes. What interests me is that _I_ need to write only one line and then I
can go outside and smell the flowers. The code is a byproduct that is not that
interesting in itself. It usually comes to solve some problem and I'd rather
spend my time on the problem than on the code.

There is another point, it's much easier to debug 1 line of code than a hundred.

c is a swiss army knife, low level, very powerful, will solve everything with
enough work. If someone didn't build a tool for the job yet, c is probably your
answear. I still wouldn't want to carve a surfboard using an army knife if I
can just pick a complete surfboard and spend my time surfing instead.

Regretably I spend quite a bit of time with c, among other things because it's
the right tool for MY job (fortran and matlab are usually better, but for some
things thats what I've got), and as someone who knows c quite well, I tell
people to stay away if they have a quicker way.