Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Jun 24, 2009, at 1:53 AM, 明覺 wrote:

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Micha Feigin<michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:21:22 -0400
Hal Vaughan <hal@halblog.com> wrote:

I'm being blunt, but, honestly, I run a business on custom software
I've written and I can do it because I learned from those who knew
more than I did. If I refused to learn from people on this and other
lists, I'd be an idiot and would still be wasting most of my life at
the keyboard.  I found one can save days, weeks, months, or even
years, by listening to those with experience. You don't seem to want
to listen to the experience of many.

Learn from other people's errors, you don't have time to make them all yourself ;-)

Like others said, learn whats the right tool for the job, do the jobs you feel like and leave the others to the ones who like other jobs better. Don't forget to live. Like I like to say, I'm more scared of not living than of dying. I hope you can
figure out the meaning ...
I also find that messing about in languages I know nothing about tought me also about those I do know something about and also tought me what I don't want to
do and what I'm wasting my time on with the wrong tool

That's fine, but don't come crying to us in 3-4 years when you realize
how much time you've wasted with such a capricious fetish.

I'm still claiming that the world would have been a better place if computers hadn't been invented, or at least if user interface (cli, gui, whatever) has never been invented, and the more I learn the more I'm convinced on that
matter ;-)

I used to be more of a purist like you but after going through, c, c ++, java, matlab, perl, fortran (yes it's still alive and kicking ...), assembly, basic, pascal, logo, lisp and I don't know how many others I came to the concultion that if I can save three weeks programing, let the program run a couple of days instead of a couple of hours (assuming it needs to be run once or twice) and go out to date my wife, mountain bike, kite surf, watch the sunset or whatever,
I'm much better of and sociaty is not the worst of it.
If I do not change the reality, I will suffer till I'm dying; If I try
to change the reality, maybe i will just suffer 20 years, and rest for
my last 20 years.

And the first place to change reality is YOUR PERCEPTION. There is no suffering here, other than your refusal to learn or use other languages. This is a task that, if you apply yourself, you will master in 6 months or so. The other task, that you propose, is not a 20 year task -- it won't be finished that quickly.

So why suffer for 20 years when there's no reason to suffer for longer than a few months?

As for resting the last 20 years, that assumes that there are enough people who value your work that they'll pay you enough that you will be able to rest, as opposed to finding whatever job you can to continue to support you. You've been given a plethora of reasons why programmers do NOT want a unified language. If they wanted one language, there are many programmers far wiser than anyone here that could have started that over the past few decades, but none of them have. Why? Because there is not only no need for one, but because it's counter productive.

Hal