Re: Version mismatch between kqemu module and qemu

hello,

myself i'm using KVM right now, it's like qemu but i found it to work better with some operating systems.

so i can tell you how to compile the kernel module for KVM, for qemu it should be similar (i'm not posting the output of the commands here).

# aptitude install kvm kvm-source module-assistant
# cd /usr/src
# tar -xf kvm.tar.bz2
# cd /usr/src/modules/kvm
# m-a a-i --force kvm
# reboot

this should give you a working KVM installation.

for details don't forget to read the manual ( /usr/share/doc/kvm/ ).

NOTE: kvm is based on qemu and uses the same command syntax, so it's easy to confuse between KVM and QEMU.

greets,
vitaminx

2009/6/24 Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com>
Thank You for Your time and answer, me:

> NOTE: the *kvm-modules-2.6.26-2-686* package was created by compiling *
> kvm-source*.

Things become more and more strange to me:

1. I have done

dpkg -P qemu* kvm*

Now when I simply install qemu from a DVD and try to run the machine:

qemu-system-x86_64 -localtime -hda /pub/vm -m 512

the machine just hangs on its bios info screen.

2. It is strange to me that I have to compile a a package in order to get the
hardware acceleration - I remember for sure that in the times when I had the
acceleration (I believe it was before an upgrade) I did not compile anything
myself - all was installed from repos. Probably, now I will the hard way.

Can You recommend how to perform the compilation?