Re: looking for a debian compatible usb audio interface

Dave Thayer wrote:
> FWIW, Ripping vinyl involves a fair amount of effort, so if you can
> borrow CD versions of your LPs or find a cheap used CD you're better
> off ripping the CD than spending a lot of time in Audacity trying to
> get a clean LP rip.

Certainly, it is more involved to record a LP than to copy a CD, mainly
because the latter is much faster than playback and has some tools to
automatically retrieve the track information.

I've recorded quite a few of my LPs and didn't spend any time with
audacity. YMMV and it depends on the quality of your playback and
recording equipment of course. My play backed LPs typically sound as
good or better than CD and there is a slight loss in quality of the
recordings due to the limitations of the usb sound card. I don't think
that this could be improved by audacity or any other software.

FWIW some of my records are not available as CDs.

Cheers,
Johannes