Re: Final Divorce from Knoppix HDinstall

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 01:00:13 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I started out with a hd install of Knoppix 3.3. This was excellent,
> > simple to install (though getting sound a ADSL pptp was tricky at first!)
> > I used that happily until I discovered apt-get updates and upgrades. The
> > system has been steadily upgraded to Sid, 2.6.30 custom kerenel, KDE
> > 4.2.2, etc.
> >
> > I have two lingering reminders of the original Knoppix: The initial
> > bootup calls is Knoppix 2.78--this text is in /sbin/init. And the welcome
> > message after a console login: Welcome to knoppix 3.3. I would not mind
> > get rid of these, possibly placing my own text (or Debian's).
> >
> > Dpkg-divert is a nifty, mischevous and dangerous toy that plays all kinds
> > of magic and I have zillions of entries there, mostly obselete or
> > non-existant packages. I used it myself to protect nvidia's libglx.so and
> > my custom startkde for a while. I see no init.dpkg-dist file or the like,
> > however.
>
> You should clean up the obsolete diversions.
Yes, I would love to. Is there some script to do this. One by one, there are
simply too many of them. The normal sysvinit is probably among them though I
have not found the diverted file to check it.

> > How do I get the Debian "welcomes" and init? (and should this be done?--I
> > have most recent init-scripts and such)
>
> /sbin/init is in the sysvinit package, although Knoppix might have
> diverted it.  I vaguely remember that old Knoppix versions used to boot
> with "init=/etc/init" added to the kernel commandline, so you may want
> to check for that too.
>
> The welcome text is in /etc/motd, and you can change it as you please.
> If you want to follow Debian's default, make /etc/motd a symlink to
> /var/run/motd and create /etc/motd.tail containing only a newline
> character.
I have symlink /etc/modtd and /etc/motd.static. Changed it to my own message.
Thanks!