Re: looking for a debian compatible usb audio interface

Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2009-06-23T18:11:42, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Where did you get this information? What changed within the
>> specifications between 1.1 and 2.0 so that they require a separate driver?
>
> linux-audio-users@lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> When I looked into this a few months back I was not able to find
> any supported USB 2.0 audio devices.  I would have bought one of
> the Lexicon IONIX devices if drivers had been available.

This could either mean

- the specifications changed

or

- there are no manufacturers following the specifications

I went to great length trying to find a first class linux supported
device and had the impression that it is rather the second point, that
limits the choices. Glancing at the usb audio specifications [1], I
think that they cover 2.0 as well.

So its up to the linux users to nag the manufacturers to either follow
the specifications and/or provide linux drivers. As long as those have
the feeling that they don't loose 'enough' market share, they won't
change their linux-unfriendly policies. My experience with contacting
them seems to indicate that they are largely unaware of the problem.

[2] lists some devices that are supported by indamixx and seem to work
with the linux drivers.

Cheers,
Johannes

[1] http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/