Re: looking for a debian compatible usb audio interface

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:47:18PM +0200, Bernard wrote:
> My purpose is to digitalize vinyl records. Using my default audio card
> gave poor results. On an audio forum, it was stated that I couldn't
> expect good results unless I use a usb audio interface. Lots of them on
> the market, but I'd be interrested to hear someone saying that it works
> with Linux and give good results for my purpose.

Are you feeding your soundcard directly from a magnetic cartridge
turntable? If so, you will need a preamplifier which implements the
RIAA equalization curve.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_cartridge> for further
details.

There exist USB sound adapters with phono-level inputs. I have a ION
"MixMeister" adapter which seems to do a decent job and was fairly
cheap. It Just Works with debian and alsa.

FWIW, Ripping vinyl involves a fair amount of effort, so if you can
borrow CD versions of your LPs or find a cheap used CD you're better
off ripping the CD than spending a lot of time in Audacity trying to
get a clean LP rip.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to