Re: looking for a debian compatible usb audio interface

Dave Thayer wrote:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:47:18PM +0200, Bernard wrote:
My purpose is to digitalize vinyl records. Using my default audio card gave poor results. On an audio forum, it was stated that I couldn't expect good results unless I use a usb audio interface. Lots of them on the market, but I'd be interrested to hear someone saying that it works with Linux and give good results for my purpose.

Are you feeding your soundcard directly from a magnetic cartridge
turntable? If so, you will need a preamplifier which implements the
RIAA equalization curve.
See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_cartridge> for further
details.

There exist USB sound adapters with phono-level inputs. I have a ION
"MixMeister" adapter which seems to do a decent job and was fairly
cheap. It Just Works with debian and alsa.

FWIW, Ripping vinyl involves a fair amount of effort, so if you can
borrow CD versions of your LPs or find a cheap used CD you're better
off ripping the CD than spending a lot of time in Audacity trying to
get a clean LP rip.

HTH

dt

Thanks for your reply. This is not a matter of ripping, but of preserving my vinyl collection of about 250 records, before it decays too much or before pickup heads and diamonds are no longer available. I am using a RIAA preamplifier, but the results are still poor. I went to a forum that is specialized in audio matters, and they said I would have much better results if I were to use a quality sound card, usb for convenience. Problem is that, in this specialized forum, no one can tell which sound card is linux compatible... The sound card I have so far been using is included in my motherboard (ASUS P5LD2 SE, Soundmax ADI 986A)