Re: What are kernel patches for?

On 2009-06-23 21:30 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:44:21PM -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>>
>> I believe that the patch-2.6.29.x applies against the tree of 2.6.29,
>> which is why some hunks would already be present if you try to apply
>> it against 2.6.29.4.
>>
>> The easiest solution is to get the full 2.6.29.5 tree, or get the
>> 2.6.29 tarball and then apply this patch. Someone correct me if I am
>> wrong.
>
> My understanding is that patch-2.6.29.5 is supposed to patch (the full
> source tree of) 2.6.29.4 to kernel version 2.6.29.5, the idea being
> that it saves you from having to download the current full source
> tree. Isn't that so?

No, it is as Kumar said. And you don't have to download the full source
if you have 2.6.29 already.  With your proposal, you would need 2.6.29,
_every_ patch-2.6.29.y and apply them consecutively -- this becomes
rather tedious if y is large.

> If I need to download the full source again, I'd
> download 2.6.30 and won't need to patch anything.

I always download linux-2.6.x.tar.bz2 and patch-2.6.x.y.bz2.

> The reason I want to patch this time is that don't want to go through
> all the configuration again but go with what I have and only
> (hopefully) get the freezing problem fixed with the new version. And I
> don't trust "make oldconfig" or something --- it might apply the
> configuration, but I'd still have to go through and check.

Actually, "make oldconfig" is the best you can do to check every new
kernel option.  It takes a bit of time if going from 2.6.x to 2.6.x+1,
but for most questions asked you can just press Enter.

Sven