What are kernel patches for?

Hi,

what are kernel patches for when they cannot be applied? I'm getting:

lee@cat:~/inst/KERNEL/linux-2.6.29.4$ patch -p1 < patch-2.6.29.5
patching file Documentation/filesystems/Locking
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]

I haven't applied a patch previously, and I guess that the creator of
the patch didn't confuse the directories. I used to just download a
new kernel when I wanted to update, since there were usually a number
of versions in between, but in this case, there's only 2.6.29.5 and
then 2.6.30, so I wanted to apply the patches. So how do I apply these
patches?

2.6.29.4 sometimes seems to lock up, i. e. it seems that as soon as
disk access is involved, whatever tries to access the disk just
freezes. When that happens, I can only press the reset button. Maybe
that's fixed now.