Re: What are kernel patches for?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 01:44:21PM -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:41:45PM -0600, lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what are kernel patches for when they cannot be applied? I'm getting:
> >

> > lee@cat:~/inst/KERNEL/linux-2.6.29.4$ patch -p1 < patch-2.6.29.5
> > patching file Documentation/filesystems/Locking
> > Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
>
> I believe that the patch-2.6.29.x applies against the tree of 2.6.29,
> which is why some hunks would already be present if you try to apply
> it against 2.6.29.4.
>
> The easiest solution is to get the full 2.6.29.5 tree, or get the
> 2.6.29 tarball and then apply this patch. Someone correct me if I am
> wrong.

My understanding is that patch-2.6.29.5 is supposed to patch (the full
source tree of) 2.6.29.4 to kernel version 2.6.29.5, the idea being
that it saves you from having to download the current full source
tree. Isn't that so? If I need to download the full source again, I'd
download 2.6.30 and won't need to patch anything.

If you're right and some things that would be patched are already
present in their patched form, why isn't there an option to just skip
the parts that are already present and don't need to be patched?

The reason I want to patch this time is that don't want to go through
all the configuration again but go with what I have and only
(hopefully) get the freezing problem fixed with the new version. And I
don't trust "make oldconfig" or something --- it might apply the
configuration, but I'd still have to go through and check.