Re: Backup config files in home directory

Alan Chandler wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 01:01:52AM +0800, ronggui wong wrote:
I have other files and directories in the home directory, and I just
want to backup all the config files, most of them are hidden files and
directories. Now I use tar and manually exclude my other files and
directories with --exclude argument. Is there a better way to do this?

You'd have to define 'better'.  A tar archive is certanly easy to
restore.  You can even just pull in one file out of an archive.  You can
look into the archive interactivly with midnight commander. Personally, I use tar for all my backups.

Doug.

The more modern versions of tar also support the --exclude-tag option which enables you to drop a file with a particular name (I use NOBAK.TAG) into a directory and it skips that directory during backup. I use that to create a backup of an external site I manage with the key "operational" directories available to my fellow administrators from my personal web site.

Apologies - that was meant to go just to the list