Re: Final Divorce from Knoppix HDinstall

On 2009-06-23 21:23 +0200, David Baron wrote:

> I started out with a hd install of Knoppix 3.3. This was excellent, simple to
> install (though getting sound a ADSL pptp was tricky at first!) I used that
> happily until I discovered apt-get updates and upgrades. The system has been
> steadily upgraded to Sid, 2.6.30 custom kerenel, KDE 4.2.2, etc.
>
> I have two lingering reminders of the original Knoppix: The initial bootup
> calls is Knoppix 2.78--this text is in /sbin/init. And the welcome message
> after a console login: Welcome to knoppix 3.3. I would not mind get rid of
> these, possibly placing my own text (or Debian's).
>
> Dpkg-divert is a nifty, mischevous and dangerous toy that plays all kinds of
> magic and I have zillions of entries there, mostly obselete or non-existant
> packages. I used it myself to protect nvidia's libglx.so and my custom
> startkde for a while. I see no init.dpkg-dist file or the like, however.

You should clean up the obsolete diversions.

> How do I get the Debian "welcomes" and init? (and should this be done?--I have
> most recent init-scripts and such)

/sbin/init is in the sysvinit package, although Knoppix might have
diverted it.  I vaguely remember that old Knoppix versions used to boot
with "init=/etc/init" added to the kernel commandline, so you may want
to check for that too.

The welcome text is in /etc/motd, and you can change it as you please.
If you want to follow Debian's default, make /etc/motd a symlink to
/var/run/motd and create /etc/motd.tail containing only a newline
character.

Sven