Iceweasel 309 and scrollbars

Hi!

I use Iceweasel 3.0.9 on Squeeze to read my gmail. Frequently I need
to scroll down and click below the knob on the scrollbar to move one
page down.

But often when I do this and perhaps am a bit slow clicking after
positioning the mouse pointer some button with an arrow on it pops up
just under the mouse and gets clicked instead.

This results in my gmail only existing in a narrow subwindow inside Iceweasel.

Is this Iceweasel or Gnome functionality? In either case the usability
of this weirdness is absolutely ghastly and I'd like to turn it off -
but have no idea where to start.

Christine